2 Ashfaq Ahmed Rd, H-8/2 H 8/2 H-8, Islamabad,
Islamabad Capital Territory 4400
Allama Iqbal Open University (AIOU) is a public university in Islamabad, Pakistan. The university is the fourth largest institution in the world of higher education, with an annual enrollment of 1,121,038 students (up to 2010), mostly women, and the course enrollment is 3,305,948 (2011).
The University has 44 regional campuses and centers throughout Pakistan.
Allama Iqbal Open University is an attractive option for those who cannot afford the most expensive education in private universities of Pakistan. Online learning is often offered to consumers for free or at a lower price.
Objectives and missions
Established in 1974, it is the first open university in Asia that emphasizes distance learning in philosophy, natural sciences and social studies.
It has the highest number of applicants every year at any university in Pakistan. AIOU offers you a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs in academic subjects.
The AIOU was established as a public university in 1974, after witnessing the success of the Open University in the UK.
AIOU is known for its cost-effective policy to provide higher and lifelong education to people seeking education from homes and workplaces at a minimal cost through a government-funded special fund. The AIOU is open to everyone and provides education to all, without discrimination.
Administration and governance
• Chancellor (President of Pakistan)
• Pro Chancellor (Federal Education, Federal Education and Vocational Training)
• Vice Chancellor (Chief Executive Officer / Head of Institution)
• Executive Council (Governing Body)
Teachers and Department
Faculty of Arabic and Islamic Studies
Established in 1974, the faculty was upgraded to the Faculty of Arabic and Islamic Studies in 1998, with the following departments:
• Arabic Language and Literature
• Hadith and Sirah
• Islamic Law (Jurisprudence)
• Islamic thought, history and culture
• Quran and commentary
• Faculty of Education
Was founded in 1984, predicts the true university of teachers. A National Institute of Education was established in 1973 as part of the Federal Ministry of Education to improve school-level education through training in the service of master trainers. The institute became part of the University in June 1975.
The Faculty of Education has the following areas:
• Adult and continuing education
• Distance and informal education
• Educational planning and management
• Science Education
• Special Education Teacher Education (Secondary)
• Teacher Education (Elementary)
Faculty of Sciences
Named after the Faculty of Science, the Faculty of Basic and Applied Sciences was established in 1982. It includes the following nine categories:
• Agricultural Sciences
• Information Technology
• Computer Science
• Engineering and Technology
• Environmental Sciences
• Home and Health Sciences
• Mathematics and Statistics
Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
The Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities was founded in 1982. There are 13 fields of faculty.
• Business Administration
• English Language and Applied Linguistics
• Iqbal Studies
• Library and information sciences
• Mass Communication
• Pakistan Studies
• Pakistani languages
• Sociology, Social Work and Population Studies
• Gender and Women’s Studies